I just read this article about 10 things happy couples do. I really like it because the advice is simple, uncomplicated, and common sense. But do we need to be reminded of common sense things? Well, believe me, I most certainly do.
Our mothers are experts at reminding us to drive safely and look both ways and stop, drop, & roll. (Or maybe I’m thinking of my second grade student teacher, Miss Beem. But I digress…) There are so many things we know, thing we know we know, yet fail to do. Why? I’ve no idea. But here are some things that I need to remind myself to do on a daily basis.
- Drink water. Drinking water is essential, yet I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t make myself. I drink. Like a fish. And without it, I feel all out of balance.
- Stretch. I admit it, I loathe stretching. It’s boring and doesn’t burn many calories. (Unlike Insanity.) But, again, it’s good for you and your sore muscles.
- Put on some SPF. We hear about the dangers of excess sun everyday, yet I forget that this applies to me, in the Midwest. Yes, the sun still shines, and yes, it is still (really stinkin’) hot, at least on my face and neck.
- Call my mom. Right now, this doesn’t apply, as I’m here for the summer, but when I’m away, I sometimes forget my momma wants to hear from me and, yes, she does want to hear the mundane details. If there’s anyone who does, it’s her. Thank goodness for moms.
- Don’t use Facebook to talk politics. Just don’t. There’s no point.
- Take your contacts out. Yeah, I hate that too, and would sleep with the things if I could. My eyes don’t even feel normal without my Acuvue Dailys.
- Read something. Not on the Internet. Like a book.
- Go to bed. Seriously. Get off Gchat and sleep.
- Forgive people. They’re not as bad as they seem when the lines are five deep at Kroger.
- Don’t stop dreaming. Just because you’re 23, 33, 43, 53 doesn’t mean your life can’t change. It can (and it may, for better or worse). So, take a step, and hope the Spanish government decides to give you the visa.