I now come and go between the US and Spain with little to no problems. Besides frustration at airports. Airports, I used to love you, now I hate you.
But here are some things I will always do upon returning to the States:
- Start to say perdón to people when I bump into them in the grocery store.
- Refer to my phone as my “mobile.”
- Search for the toilet flusher on top of the toilet in public places. This will last a good ten seconds until I finally turn around and have a “Duhhhh” moment all to myself.
- Forget whether it’s in the States or the US where light switches are generally inside the room.
- Marvel at the fact that stoplights are indeed on the other side of the street. Does this make more or less sense?
- Eat lunch at 2 p.m., then 1:30, then 1, but never, ever 12. Who can eat lunch at 12, let alone 11?
- Ask for the “ag … I mean, water.”
What do you always do upon returning home to the States (or to Spain or to wherever you’re from)?